Ausmepa Home » Students » Projects » Revegetation » Planting
- Get an adult to check the site for dangerous objects and any other safety issues.
- Make sure plants are delivered.
- Make sure tools are delivered.
- Make sure students have access to water and buckets
- Have a plan b if the weather is really bad.
- Train students to use the tools safely and how to put plants into the ground using the tools. Work out the steps needed to put in a plant eg:
- Scoop mulch away from the ground where it is to be planted.
- Use tool to make hole.
- Wet the roots of the plant in the tube.
- Carefully drop plant out of the tube.
- Put plant in the hole so that the potting soil does not stick above the ground or the stems covered in soil.
- Pack some earth to fill the hole (depends on tools being used)
- Replace muck, but leave a hollow so the mulch does not cover the plant.
- Give the plant a long drink of water.
- You may have guards or steaks to protect the plants.
- Have one person who places the plants where they will be planted.
- Organise the planting so students do need to walk over freshly planted areas.
- Only put out a few plants at a time making sure there are about 2 plants per square metre.
- Distribute the plant species so it reflects the planned ecosystem, paths etc.
- After the planting, cleanup the site, gather the empty pots and all the tools.