Ausmepa Home » Students » Student research » Pests » Ballast water hitchhikers » More action
- The Australian Quarantine Inspection Service (AQIS) is the Government agency in Australia responsible for overseeing the prevention of marine pests coming into Australia in ships’ ballast water See www.daff.gov.au/aqis/avm/vessels/ballast
- The Australian Government introduced mandatory ballast water notification requirements and ballast water management requirements.
- State and Territory government departments and agencies provide marine pest identification kits and educational material on their websites
- The CSIRO provides information through the Centre for Research on Introduced Marine Pests, which includes the National Introduced Marine Pests Information System.
- Scientists are researching ways for the most economical, environmentally friendly and safe treatment options for ships ballast water.
- The shipping industry has contributed over $2m in Australia for research into ballast water treatment techniques.
- Shipping companies have made their ships available for trials on ballast water management.